Have you seen this video yet? It currently has over 16 million views on youtube and that number will probably be even higher by the time you read this. It’s odd, strange, and intriguing to say the least. Tatia Pilieva, a filmmaker, captures 20 complete strangers - gay, straight, old, and young - sharing a first kiss.
As this has gone viral, it’s been seen as inspiring, beautiful, and compelling. Time said, "What could have been intensely uncomfortable throughout was strangely romantic.” Perhaps the beautiful people wearing trendy clothes made this compelling. Or maybe it was the quality of the filming. Or maybe it’s the soundtrack for this short film. Please note, the video shows this variety of couples making out and it may be offensive.
I won’t argue that it isn't interesting to watch the awkward moments of this first kiss. But I would hardly call it beautiful or compelling. I think there’s better that we can be inspired by. Some of these come from experience, others come from observation. So to name a few...
16 Kisses that are better than 20 Strangers Kissing:
1. The first kiss with your eventual spouse. I hardly remember the first time I kissed my wife. I remember the first attempt, which was also a failed attempt. But there’s something special about the kiss that is the first among many.
2. The kiss that accompanies, “I do.”The promise that commits to a lifetime together. It’s not a contract that says, “If you keep me satisfied, I’ll stay with you"… it’s a promise that says, “We are in it for the long haul. No matter how much crap we face.”
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” - Matthew 19:5-6
3. The kiss that happens even though life is falling apart around you. Ecclesiastes says, “There is a time for everything.” Our marriages will have seasons of great joy and laughter. And they will also have pain, struggle, and heart-ache. The kiss that says, “I still love you,” in the midst of those difficult days is a beautiful kind of love. It’s a love that isn’t just about attraction, but a love that is abound friendship and commitment.
4. The kiss that says, “I’m sorry.” Marriages don’t work without repentance. Unless we learn to use these two words and go to our spouses with a kiss and an apology, we are not going to make it very far.
5. The kiss that says, “I forgive you.” Just as marriages won’t work without repentance, they also won’t work without forgiveness.
"Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." - Colossians 3:13
6. Kissing your kids for the first time. I’ll never forget the moment I first held and kissed my kids for the first time. The love that a parent has for a children is unbelievable. And that first kiss with my son and my daughter are both something I will never forget.
7. Watching your kids kiss each other. I recently got to watch my son become a big brother. There is nothing more heart-warming than to see my son reach out his arms, say, “I want it,” and then give his baby sister a kiss as he holds her.
8. The kisses that led to kids…and the ones that didn’t lead to kids too. Do I really need any explanation?
9. This kiss that makes you feel uncomfortable - your mom and dad kissing in front of you. I definitely plan on doing this when my kids are older. And while it is uncomfortable for the kids who have to witness it, it is also something that we all hope is in our future.
10. The kiss that sends your daughter down the aisle. I haven’t experienced this and don’t want to think about the day I will. But I have witnessed several dads do this and know the love that my wife and her dad share. There is something special about a daddy and his baby girl and no one else can share that special moment when daddy kisses his baby girl before she becomes a wife.
11. The kiss that embarrass your kid on their first day of school. When your kids hit a certain age, there’s a day when your kisses will embarrass them. Kiss them anyways. It might be embarrassing, but they’ll get over it when they realize they have parents who actually love them and care about them.
12. The kiss on the scrapes, bruises, and bumps. Right now, I’m pretty sure that any injury my son has can be fixed by his mama’s kisses.
13. The kisses that comes after kids. Kids don’t mean the end of intimacy. And if the marriage is done right, it just keeps getting better.
14. The good night kiss that happens every single night. Every night next to the same person. Night after night. Week after week. Friends, lovers, spouses getting to do life together. That’s something to strive for.
15. The kiss after praying for your spouse. Prayer is an intimate thing. Prayer for your spouse and pray with your spouse.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” - Phil 4:6-7
16. The 50th anniversary kiss. What more beautiful, what more compelling, and what more inspiring that seeing the couples who grow old together? What better picture of the faithfulness of God than a marriage that has remained faithful for 50 years? Faithful through good times and bad. Faithful through the fights and the celebrations. Faithful through the deaths and the births.
"Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her.” - Ephesians 5:25
Strangers kissing might certainly be intriguing, but I think we can do better. Something more beautiful. Something more compelling. Something more exciting.
Do you have any that you’d add to the list? Add them in the comments.